Six individuals were recently awarded the Order of Lincoln, a prestigious honor in Illinois to recognize contributions and achievements. Among those singled out was columnist George Will. We listen to his remarks.
And 1919 was so violent, it was given the nickname "The Summer of Red." An Illinois author joins us to look back on an Illinois race riot that year.
That and more on this week's Statewide.
* Columnist George Will can add another honor to his legacy. He was among those given the Order of Lincoln award at a recent Springfield ceremony. Will, a Champaign native, used the oppotunity to talk about his native state, Abraham Lincoln and his other favorite topic: baseball.
* Rich Egger with Tri States Public Radio speaks with author Claire Hartfield about her book "A Few Red Drops: The Chicago Race Riot of 1919."
* Daisy Contreras leads a roundtable discussion with other statehouse journalists to get an update on key issues facing the legislature.
* Jonathon Ahl of St. Louis Public Radio tells us about escape rooms and how they've become so popular.
* Susan Stephens with WNIJ recalls the life and career of Rockford journalist Chuck Sweeny, who passed away this week.
* For years, soybean farmers in the midwest knew they had a booming market in China. But the recent trade war has made it a nervous time down on the farm. Amy Mayer of Harvest Public Media explains.
* Maureen McKinney speaks with Tatyana Moaton, who's transgender and a former Army intelligence officer, about the order that effectively bars transgender individuals from the military.
* Peter Medlin of WNIJ has a report from Northern Illinois on the teacher shortage.
* Dusty Rhodes examines a proposal to lift the algebra requirement for high school students in Illinois.
Statewide, which brings you reports and conversations from in and around Illinois, is a production of NPR Illinois with help from other Illinois public radio stations. Find all our episodes online at Statewideshow.com. Drop us a line at Scraw1@uis.edu
Listen to Statewide across Illinois:
- Bloomington/Normal – WGLT 89.1 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon)
- Carbondale – WSIU 91.9 (Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Mount Vernon - WVSI 88.9 (Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Olney - WUSI 90.3 (Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Rockford/DeKalb – WNIJ 89.5 (Saturdays 6-7 a.m., Sundays 6-7 p.m.)
- Springfield/Decatur - WUIS 91.9 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, 11 p.m. - Midnight, Saturdays 9-10 a.m.)
- Peoria – WCBU 89.9 (Fridays 6-7 p.m.)
- Pittsfield - WIPA 89.3 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, 11 p.m. - Midnight, Saturdays 9-10 a.m.)
- Urbana/Champaign – WILL 580 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, 7-8 p.m.)