Statewide: Race And Vaccines
On this episode, when it comes to getting the COVID-19 vaccine, Black residents are less likely to get the shots than whites. We'll look at some of the reasons why and some possible solutions.
And Congressman Adam Kinzinger has become a regular on national talk shows for speaking out against his own party. Kinzinger grew up in central Illinois and we'll hear what those who've known him the longest have to say about the Republican.
* Eric Stock with WGLT tells us about the early days of Rep. Adam Kinzinger growing up in the Bloomington area.
* Kristy Long brings us an Illinois Issues report on media literacy education.
* Christine Herman with Illinois Newsroom speaks with University of Illinois biosciences professor Aditi Das on developing alternatives to opioid painkillers.
* Mary Hansen of NPR Illinois looks at why Black residents are getting their COVID-19 vaccinations at a lower rate than others.
* University of Illinois Springfield sociology professor Tiffani Saunders discusses the roots of vaccine hesitancy in the Black community.
* Tim Shelley of WCBU talks with Dr. Michael Leonardi of OSF Saint Francis Medical Center about whether pregnant women should get the vaccine.
* Shahla Farzahn of St. Louis Public Radio tells us about a group of pigeon racing enthusiasts trying to keep the tradition alive.
* Marianna Bacallao with WVIK explains how the Mississippi River is providing sanctuary for animals fleeing the effects of climate change.
* Harvest Public Media's Dana Cronin reports on how the pandemic has impacted seed companies.
Listen to Statewide across Illinois in:
- Bloomington/Normal – WGLT 89.1 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Carbondale – WSIU 91.9 (Fridays 2-3 p.m. and Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Mount Vernon - WVSI 88.9 (Fridays 2-3 p.m. and Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Olney - WUSI 90.3 (Fridays 2-3 p.m. and Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Quad Cities - WVIK 105.7 HD-2 (Fridays 11 a.m. - noon)
- Rockford/DeKalb – WNIJ 89.5 (Saturdays 6-7 a.m., Sundays 2-3 p.m.)
- Springfield/Decatur - WUIS 91.9 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, 11 p.m. - Midnight, Saturdays 9-10 a.m.)
- Peoria – WCBU 89.9 (Fridays 11-noon, Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Pittsfield - WIPA 89.3 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, 11 p.m. - Midnight, Saturdays 9-10 a.m.)
- Urbana/Champaign – WILL 580 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, 7-8 p.m.)