Cities are finding a way to improve high crime areas is to have police develop ties with residents. In Peoria, a program where officers live in the neighborhoods has proven successful and is expanding. We have a report.
And we learn what Governor J.B. Pritzker said during his budget address. Pritzker used the opportunity to also push for a graduated income tax.
That and more on Statewide.
This week's lineup:
* Brian Mackey explains what the governor is proposing in his new budget plan.
* Dana Vollmer of WCBU gives us a ground level view of Peoria's resident police officer program.
* Mary Hansen points out problems with downtown Springfield parking and some suggestions for improvement.
* WGLT's Breanna Grow reports on an "invaluable" Lincoln donation to a central Illinois museum.
* Rich Egger of TriStates Public Radio tells how a long-delayed project at Western Illinois University might finally come to fruition.
* Cristina Stella with Harvest Public Media reports on a push to train communities to spot unsafe drinking water.
* Lee Gaines of Illinois Newsroom examines a new program in Champaign to help people released from prison find housing.
* Joe Deacon with WGLT introduces us to some of the Republican candidates vying for the party's nomination for U.S. Senate this year.
* Peter Medlin with WNIJ reports on changes in P.E. classes that put more focus on mental health.
* WBEZ's Lauren Frost found plenty of love in a tattoo parlor.
Listen to Statewide across Illinois in:
- Bloomington/Normal – WGLT 89.1 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Carbondale – WSIU 91.9 (Fridays 2-3 p.m. and Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Mount Vernon - WVSI 88.9 (Fridays 2-3 p.m. and Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Olney - WUSI 90.3 (Fridays 2-3 p.m. and Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Rockford/DeKalb – WNIJ 89.5 (Saturdays 6-7 a.m., Sundays 6-7 p.m.)
- Springfield/Decatur - WUIS 91.9 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, 11 p.m. - Midnight, Saturdays 9-10 a.m.)
- Peoria – WCBU 89.9 (Fridays 6-7 p.m., Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Pittsfield - WIPA 89.3 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, 11 p.m. - Midnight, Saturdays 9-10 a.m.)
- Urbana/Champaign – WILL 580 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, 7-8 p.m.)