UIS Expands COVID Testing To The Public
The UIS COVID-19 saliva testing site is now offering free tests to the public. A separate “community lane” has been established in the lower-level PAC testing area for community visitors. The free tests are being funded through an agreement between the Illinois Department of Public Health and SHIELD Illinois using federal relief money.
- This is for non-symptomatic individuals who are not isolating due to COVID-19.
- All samples will be sent to a Springfield lab, with results sent to each individual tester or their guardian within 12-18 hours.
- There is no age limit to participate in SHIELD testing; however, because of the smaller collection tubes used by SHIELD, younger children may require more time to deposit their sample.
- All visitors must wear a mask as they enter and leave the testing site.
- Testers are not to eat, drink, use tobacco, brush their teeth, or use mouthwash 60 minutes prior to submitting a sample.
Community members visiting the UIS site should pre-register by visiting the SHIELD testing portal, clicking “sign up for an account” and entering agency code df5brbrj. Individuals who are bringing minors to test should follow instructions to create a family account. Community members will receive test results directly to their online SHIELD portal within 12-18 hours of testing; this is a separate portal from what UIS students, faculty and staff currently use to get their test results.
Community testing is available between 8:30 a.m. and 4 p.m. Tuesdays through Fridays this week and next week; testing hours for UIS students, faculty and staff remain the same.
Effective the week of May 17, UIS will be adjusting testing hours for both the community and the UIS population and relocating all testing to the Student Union. Additional information will be announced next week about these anticipated changes.
More information on COVID-19 testing at UIS can be found at https://www.uis.edu/covid-19/testing/.