Many higher learning institutions, including community colleges, have seen a drop in enrollment during the pandemic. While officials work to reverse that trend, some students say this has been an opportunity to re-think their future plans.
And Illinois prisons began prohibiting in-person visits to slow the spread of COVID-19. They have yet to change that policy.
Those stories and more on this week's Statewide.
* A conversation with David Chih, Director of the Asian American Cultural Center at the University of Illinois, and Teresa Mok, a licensed clinical psychologist in Urbana, about the impact of anti-Asian violence.
* Tim Shelley of WCBU talks with Steve Fiffer, co-author of "It's In The Action." It's the memoir of the late civil rights pioneer, the Rev. C.T. Vivian.
* Chase Cavanaugh interviews the author of a book on the history of Irish immigrants in Illinois.
* Patrick Smith with WBEZ looks at an Illinois Department of Corrections policy that stopped in-person visitation.
* Lee Gaines discusses the Common Application, which will be used by all 12 Illinois public universities this fall. She speaks with the Deputy Governor for Education in Illinois, Jesse Ruiz.
* Adriana Cardona-Maguigad of WBEZ hears from some college students using the pandemic as a time to reflect on their goals.
* Maureen McKinney talks with people on both sides of the issue of parental notification of abortion.
* Sean Crawford discusses the 1970 Illinois Constitutional Convention with Charlie Wheeler, who was a reporter covering the event. They discuss the intent of delegates and how their work has impacted the state today.
Listen to Statewide across Illinois in:
- Bloomington/Normal – WGLT 89.1 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Carbondale – WSIU 91.9 (Fridays 2-3 p.m. and Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Mount Vernon - WVSI 88.9 (Fridays 2-3 p.m. and Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Olney - WUSI 90.3 (Fridays 2-3 p.m. and Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Quad Cities - WVIK 105.7 HD-2 (Fridays 11 a.m. - noon)
- Rockford/DeKalb – WNIJ 89.5 (Saturdays 6-7 a.m., Sundays 2-3 p.m.)
- Springfield/Decatur - WUIS 91.9 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, 11 p.m. - Midnight, Saturdays 9-10 a.m.)
- Peoria – WCBU 89.9 (Fridays 11-noon, Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Pittsfield - WIPA 89.3 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, 11 p.m. - Midnight, Saturdays 9-10 a.m.)
- Urbana/Champaign – WILL 580 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, 7-8 p.m.)