Mission Control: Education Advisory Convening
Thanks to all who took the time to participate in the NPR Illinois Advisory Convening. K-12 funding was the main topic the group discussed. Listen to the unedited, raw audio to hear how it progressed. It has been posted in two parts to make file size manageable. View the slide show of the participants above.
When NPR Illinois' John Wallenstein began fundraising for the Education Desk a couple years ago, we knew it would be about more than reporting. Engaging with you on the subject would be important.
Just over a year ago, when Dusty Rhodes joined NPR Illinois as the first reporter assigned to the Education Desk, we held an education forum to ascertain issues on the beat. Dusty's reporting, along with that of other Illinois and national public radio journalists, has provided a lot of context in year one. In addition, we have aired several documentaries on the state of education.
Wednesday, March 2, 2016 from 9:30 - 11:30 AM, NPR Illinois hosted an Education Advisory Convening to help inform coverage over the next year.
- Sean Crawford - Managing Editor, NPR Illinois - Moderator
- Amy Ballinger-Cole – Government Relations Director, Advance Illinois
- Nancy Barrett - Coordinator of Assessment and Accreditation, College of Education and Human Services at UIS
- Linda Byrd - Homebound Student Teacher/Parent
- Ryan Croke - Associate Chancellor for Public Affairs at UIS
- Roger Eddy – Executive Director, Illinois Association of School Boards
- Jennifer Gill - Superintendent, Springfield Public Schools District 186
- Jessica Handy - Stand for Children Illinois/PTO President at Springfield High School
- Bree Hankins - Communications Coordinator, Springfield Public Schools District 186
- Becky Martin – Teacher, Lanphier High School District 186
- Delores Martin - Chair of Springfield Race Unity Project/parent
- Catie Sheehan - Director of Communications, HSHS St. John's Hospital
- John Stremsterfer - President/CEO, Community Foundation for the Land of Lincoln
- Kelly Wickham Hurst-Guidance Dean, Lincoln Magnet School
NPR Illinois Attendees:
- Nice Bogdanovich -Sponsorship Account Executive
- Jamey Dunn - Illinois Issues Editor
- Randy Eccles - General Manager/Publisher
- Rachel Lattimore - Engagement and Membership Manager
- Jeff Lorber - Vice Chancellor for Advancement, UIS
- Rachel Ottwell - Illinois Edition Editor
- Dusty Rhodes - Education Desk Reporter
- Amanda Vinicky - Statehouse Bureau Chief