In Illinois, Democrats control the General Assembly and have for years. The rest of the country is now following suit, with one party control in all but one legislature. We discuss the "all or none" phenomenon and if it's here to stay.
We also recap Gov. J.B. Pritzker's first budget address and an historic discovery that provides a view of St. Louis' baseball past.
That and more on this episode of Statewide:
* Sean Crawford talks with Governing Magazine reporter Alan Greenblatt about his article on one party legislative dominance across the country.
* Jaclyn Driscoll explains Governor Pritzker's budget plan following his speech this week.
* Paige Fleger with Side Effects Public Media tells us about an opioid treatment program in Ohio that functions in an unlikely location.
* Sean Crawford and Tara McClellan McAndrew discuss the deception that helped Illinois become a state 200 years ago.
* Harvest Public Media's Amy Mayer reports on changes in agricultural co-ops.
* Wayne Pratt visits with a researcher who discovered the only known photograph of the long-gone Negro League stadium Stars Park in St. Louis.
* WVIK's Michelle O'Neill has an update on the Rock Island County courthouse. The 120 year old building is slated for demolition, but those wanting to save it aren't giving up.
Statewide, which brings you reports and conversations from in and around Illinois, is a production of NPR Illinois with help from other Illinois public radio stations. Find all our episodes online at Statewideshow.com
Listen to Statewide across Illinois:
- Bloomington/Normal – WGLT 89.1 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon)
- Carbondale – WSIU 91.9 (Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Mount Vernon - WVSI 88.9 (Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Onley - WUSI 90.3 (Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Rockford/DeKalb – WNIJ 89.5 (Saturdays 6-7 a.m., Sundays 6-7 p.m.)
- Springfield/Decatur - WUIS 91.9 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, 11 p.m. - Midnight, Saturdays 9-10 a.m.)
- Peoria – WCBU 89.9 (Fridays 6-7 p.m.)
- Pittsfield - WIPA 89.3 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, 11 p.m. - Midnight, Saturdays 9-10 a.m.)
- Urbana/Champaign – WILL 580 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, 7-8 p.m.)