On this episode of Statewide, the spread of the coronavirus is dominating the headlines and causing numerous cancellations and other changes. We'll learn about some of those. Also, does wearing a mask help? We'll hear from experts.
And an author of a new book on Abraham Lincoln's Second Inaugural Address talks about the importance of that speech and those who were in attendance that day in 1865. Those stories and more on Statewide.
This week's lineup:
* With the threat of COVID-19, many are taking to wearing masks. Michelle O'Neill finds out what they can - and can't - do.
* The census count is getting underway. Christine Herman of Illinois Newsroom finds out more about the challenges getting an accurate count.
* Alex Ashlock with NPR's Here and Now interviews the author of a new book about President Lincoln's Second Inaugural Address.
* Sam Dunklau tells us about the first sports book that is now open in Illinois.
* St. Louis Public Radio's Andrea Henderson interviews East St. Louis native Dawn Harper-Nelson, an Olympic hurdler who is planning a comeback after the birth of her child.
* Lee Gaines of Illinois Newsroom reports on anxiety among students who have been in study abroad programs who have been forced to return home.
* Christine Herman explains about a controversial change in health care coverage for the state's foster children.
* Tim Shelley of WCBU finds law enforcement is struggling to pay for state-required training.
* St. Louis Public Radio's Shahla Farzan tells us about the lives of draft horses.
* Sam Dunklau learned how state transportation officials are using humorous message boards to get the attention of drivers.
Listen to Statewide across Illinois in:
- Bloomington/Normal – WGLT 89.1 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Carbondale – WSIU 91.9 (Fridays 2-3 p.m. and Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Mount Vernon - WVSI 88.9 (Fridays 2-3 p.m. and Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Olney - WUSI 90.3 (Fridays 2-3 p.m. and Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Rockford/DeKalb – WNIJ 89.5 (Saturdays 6-7 a.m., Sundays 6-7 p.m.)
- Springfield/Decatur - WUIS 91.9 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, 11 p.m. - Midnight, Saturdays 9-10 a.m.)
- Peoria – WCBU 89.9 (Fridays 6-7 p.m., Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Pittsfield - WIPA 89.3 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, 11 p.m. - Midnight, Saturdays 9-10 a.m.)
- Urbana/Champaign – WILL 580 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, 7-8 p.m.)