Video gambling has exploded across much of Illinois. The machines are available at corner bars, neighborhood restaurants and more. That means they are easily accessible to the people who are addicted to gambling. Is the state doing enough to help those individuals? We have a report.
And Governor J.B. Pritzker has ideas to raise more money for the state. More gambling is one of his proposals. We look at that and a few of his other plans.
That and more on this week's Statewide.
* ProPublica Illinois and WBEZ have partnered on a series that examines video gambling in the state. This week, they talk with a gambling addict.
* Dusty Rhodes reports from Stateville Correctional Center about a program that helps inmates get college degrees.
* Dusty chats with an Urbana high school student who wrote a scatching response to a newspaper editorial on school violence.
* One of Gov. Pritzker's revenue ideas involves a tax on health insurers. Jaclyn Driscoll breaks down what it would mean.
* Daisy Contreras fills us in on the Governor's plan for more gambling in Illinois.
* Sam Dunklau explains an effort to raise the tax on cigarettes and tax vaping products.
* Dana Vollmer talks with the Director of the Illinois Chapter of the National Organization for Women about International Women's Day. They discuss what gender equity issues still need attention.
* Madelyn Beck reports on an program to help downstate communities create more affordable housing options.
Statewide, which brings you reports and conversations from in and around Illinois, is a production of NPR Illinois with help from other Illinois public radio stations. Find all our episodes online at Statewideshow.com
Listen to Statewide across Illinois:
- Bloomington/Normal – WGLT 89.1 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon)
- Carbondale – WSIU 91.9 (Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Mount Vernon - WVSI 88.9 (Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Olney - WUSI 90.3 (Sundays 6-7 a.m.)
- Rockford/DeKalb – WNIJ 89.5 (Saturdays 6-7 a.m., Sundays 6-7 p.m.)
- Springfield/Decatur - WUIS 91.9 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, 11 p.m. - Midnight, Saturdays 9-10 a.m.)
- Peoria – WCBU 89.9 (Fridays 6-7 p.m.)
- Pittsfield - WIPA 89.3 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, 11 p.m. - Midnight, Saturdays 9-10 a.m.)
- Urbana/Champaign – WILL 580 (Fridays 11 a.m. - Noon, 7-8 p.m.)